Independent Stylist Podcast Episode 507 - Propellants - The Importance Of Understanding Ingredients in Hair Products - Show NotesApr 27, 2023
Show Notes: Episode 507 - The Importance of Understanding Ingredients in Hair Products - Propellants
Welcome back to the Independent Stylists podcast with Jen! In today's episode, we're taking a break from our usual topics and diving into the world of hair products, specifically the importance of understanding ingredients and clean beauty.
Key points discussed in this episode:
- The Importance of Understanding Ingredients:
- As hairstylists, it's our responsibility to be knowledgeable about the ingredients in hair products and educate our clients.
- Encouraging clients to become savvy about ingredients helps their overall health and strengthens their trust in you as an expert.
- Aerosol Beauty Products & Propellants:
- Many aerosol beauty products use butane-based propellants (butane, isobutane, and propane) derived from petroleum.
- These compounds can have negative impacts on health and the environment, contributing to air pollution, smog, respiratory issues, and skin irritation.
- Cleaner Alternatives: Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs)
- HFCs are synthetic organic compounds that serve as a more environmentally friendly option for propellants.
- They don't contribute to ground-level ozone formation and have a significantly lower overall impact than butane-based propellants.
- HFCs are also less likely to cause irritation or adverse health effects.
- Non-Aerosol Alternatives:
- Powder-based dry shampoos, such as Hair Story, (I am 100% not a hairstory affiliate in any way, I haven't even tried this product, I just know several strylists who have) can be an option for those looking to avoid propellants altogether.
In conclusion, taking the time to understand and educate your clients about the ingredients in hair products can significantly impact their overall health and wellbeing, as well as strengthen your relationship with them as a trusted expert. Don't be afraid to research ingredients and explore cleaner alternatives for the benefit of both you and your clients.
Remember to listen to the whole episode to find out where this discussion takes us and to learn more about clean beauty in the hair industry!